September 11 remembered

September 11th has several different memories for me. In 1976 on Sept. 11th my sister married her high school sweetheart Bobby. They were married for 19 years before the marriage ended sadly. They had two wonderful sons and now have a grandson (my great nephew).
On September 11th, 1990 in Houston, Texas in Jessica Ann Moffitt came into the world 3 months early. She was born at 26 weeks. I still remember that day as if it was yesterday. I took James to work downtown. At that time we only had one car. After I dropped him off I made my way back to our little apartment in North Houston. On the way there i stopped off to get a drink and a snack. Well suddenly i felt a drickle of blood down my leg and i knew that something was wrong with the baby. I got the station attendent to call my OBGYN. He wanted me to make it back downtown to see him. Well i was bleeding too much to get in the car and be able to drive. So the attendent called an ambulance. The ambulance took me to the nearest hospital to stablize me and the baby(Jessica). They had called for Life Flight to come and get me and take me to the Women's Medical Center (which is where my OBGYN was located). As they were waiting the weather changed rather suddenly. Instead of it being a beautiful sunny day, it got foggy and the helicopter could not take off. I remember a nurse or someone asking me what I wanted to do. (like i was going to be able to tell them when i was in severe pain by then) James was able to get a friend to bring him to the hospital to where i was. After having an emergency C section I vaguely remember seeing James in the recovery room. He said i looked like a rolled up ragged doll because i had so many blankets on me. I stayed in the hospital for a week to recover. Jessica was transferred that night to the Women's Hospital and she stayed in the hospital for 3 1/2 months. We were able to make our great escape from the hospital on Decemember 22, 1990.
The day of the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001, we as a family were remembering Jessica by having M&M pancakes. Those were Jessica's favorites. We were still homeschooling at the time but had not started school yet. The tradition back then was to have your birthday off for school. So what i usually did was not even start homeschooling the kids until AFTER Jessica's birthday. (I miss that tradition) I still remember I was making the pancakes and James was watching the news when we heard about the first plane hitting the WTC. Then we heard about the second one and felt like the world was closing in. September 11th would never have the same meaning to my family again or for anyone else.
Our world changed on that day the terrorist attacked. It showed us how vulnerable we really are. That in an instant history could change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do at 3 in the morning?

Writing Tools that can be used

My Scar