Poem: "Dear You" by Kristina Moffitt

I found this poem that Kristina wrote in high school. It is written to our daughter Jessica. Jessica passed away in 2001 from a brain tumor. Kristina wrote this poem in 2008.

                                                       Dear You
                                               

                                                     You who!
                                                    You who!
                                                    Yes you,
                                            do you remember me?
                     It's been half a decade since we've seen each other,
                     but you have been with me every step of the way.

                     I have looked up to you for advice and support.
                       I have needed you and mostly missed you.

                    My memories aren't as clear as they once were.
                      Maybe that is why I'm writing you.

                         I do remember you healthy,
                       before the disease took over.
                     I do remember long days and nights
                 sitting in that confined, airless, sad building.
                    I do remember you fading away
                      but fighting for your life.
             I do remember the night they took your body away.
        That black bag almost replaced the memory of your face.
          It was like the black bag made you not exist.
       Not exist to everyone else besides the ones you left.

          I am not sure whether to praise God for taking you away.
                           Away from this hurt.
                            Or  curse him.
                            How dare he!
                           You were ours!
                               Not his.
                  But I am thankful you're safe.

                          Jessica my dear,
                       You are my older sister,
                        My closest friend,
                        My deepest hurt,
                         My only hope.

           I just wish I knew you remembered me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do at 3 in the morning?

Writing Tools that can be used

My Scar