Guest Blog Post by James Moffitt



This is a story from James Moffitt that he wrote back in July to our friends about our stay at their house to watch their dogs. I wanted to share it because James is very creative with the written word. So I am going to use this as a guest post by James Moffitt!


July 3, 2015
We arrived at our bed and breakfast around 10 am this morning.  The weather was partly cloudy and about 46% humidity.  The temperature was hovering around 79 F and the neighborhood was still quiet and sleepy. I did not see many people stirring about.  

I had dejavu as I walked into the house we were staying at.  I felt as if I had been there several times before. Maybe it was in another life time, because the inhabitants that are usually there were gone.  We were greeted by two four legged friends who were excited to see us when we opened the back door.  Wait, were we supposed to be kept company by the pets of the inhabitants from years gone by?  Doctor DooLittle, my sweet wife, was ecstatic with joy as the dogs jumped all over her and she claimed them as her own.  I shook my head, turned back to the garage and began emptying our life's posessions , or so it seemed, and brought them into the house.  

Once Willow, the lab, that we brought with us and the other two dogs settled down, we were able to take stock of our surroundings and do some time in discovery zone.  When we entered the kitchen we noticed that there were two typed sheets of instructions.  I looked at Katy and said "Honey, did you know that this place comes with instructions?".  Katy said, no do tell.  We read both sheets of paper and it was apparent to both of us that we must have made a horrible mistake.  I looked at Katy and said, "honey, these people left more instructions about the two four legged friends than they did about anything else."  I said, "ok, we can come back to these instructions later in case we forget something".  Katy said, "that is a good idea honey.". 

I wandered into what appeared to be the office which is just off the kitchen.  It appeared to be something out of the Sherlock Holmes movie.  I believe that good Dr Watson used this office at some point with all of its high tech gadgets.  I pulled out my work laptop and plugged it up along with the external keyboard and mouse.  I saw an HDMI cable and quickly discovered that my laptop is not as advanced as Dr Watson's, for it did not have an HDMI cable connection.  I decided that this would require a visit to a local Best Buy so I could purchase the right cable.  After all, I do not want to have to be forced to look at a 17" screen when there is a ginormous screen right in front of me.  

Katy and I got through with discovery zone and did our best to feel at home.  All THREE of the dogs (did I just say THREE DOGS???)  had finally calmed down.  It was sunny outside so we let the dogs out side to frolic as we headed out to the surrounding area to buy the laptop cable and to find some food.  We went to Walmart and then headed over to Tanger outlet to meet our friend Roy at Golden Coral for lunch around 1:20 pm.  What we did not realize is that there was a terrible line of thunderstorms that were quickly heading towards the bed and breakfast.  We got done with lunch around 2:30 pm and when we went out into the parking lot I saw the storm approaching.  No sooner we had gotten into the car there came a torrential down pour with wind blowing the rain sideways very forcefully.  All of the drivers around us acted as if they had never seen rain before and so they turned on their emergency flashers and drove as if they were going to drown at any moment.  

We got back to the bed and breakfast as quickly as we could, and luckily the rain had subsided a bit by the time we arrived. Our 3 furry friends were on the back porch and looked as if they had just been run through a car wash a couple of times.  Needless to say they were quite vocal as they ran through the house and told us what they thought of our decision to leave them out in the rain.  Trying to catch them was like trying to catch a greased pig at the fair.  Somehow we managed to corral the youngest pup and put her in her cage so we could focus on the two older dogs and get them dried.  Before I knew it, the puppy aka Houdini broke out of her cage and ran amuck through the house daring me to catch her.  I guess it was 30 minutes later and we had all the dogs wiped down and dried off.  They ceased giving us a verbal lashing and after a bit they settled down for a spell.  
You can read more blog posts from James Moffitt at: www.lightourworld.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do at 3 in the morning?

Writing Tools that can be used

My Scar