2016-2017

   It has been a while since I blogged! The year 2016 was pretty much a blur. In March of 2016 we lost my Dad. He was in the hospital for a week and everything shut down. He passed away on my brother's birthday on March 20th.
   On April 26, 2016, I had my first brain surgery to remove a non-malignant tumor behind my right ear. I had already had hearing loss in that ear because of the tumor. Once the surgeon got in there he saw that the tumor was wrapped around my facial muscle and what helps me balance. This is why I was having a hard time being able to walk or do simple things. After surgery that took more than 12 hours, I was in ICU for 2 days. Then I went to a regular room. In all I think I was in the hospital for a week. I then was transferred to a rehabilitation place to help me relearn how to walk. I stayed there for 3 weeks. I was still having blinding headaches. Turns out I had a spinal fluid leak! They went in again on May 20 and tried to repair it. I then was in rehab for another 3 weeks.
  I then had three other surgeries. They were going in a 3 red time to fix the spinal leak by putting in a shunt in my head. While they were using a camera to set the shunt up they found out I had an ovary that had a big cyst on it. So they took that out instead of putting in the shunt. The next week they put in the shunt. So I stayed in the hospital for two weeks to have two different surgeries. Finally in October I had my 5 surgery and had a hysterectomy. So from April to October 20 it was a complete blur as to what was going on. Because the ovarian tumor was indeed cancerous I had to have chemotherapy. So December of 2016 to February of 2017 I went through chemotherapy and had three treatments. They wanted me to do six but that was too much! As far as I know I am cancer free. I will go back in February and see my Dr to verify.
  In 2017, I started out having the chemotherapy treatments and loosing my hair. I had lost 65 pounds because of all the surgeries in 2016. I have gained about 20 lbs back but hope to never get as big as I was before the surgeries. I found out the ovary cyst was so big that it was extending my stomach out. It was also causing all sorts of other symptoms like IBS and problems with my left hip. Since the surgeries I am doing a lot better.
  I have been on disability for over a year now. It took hiring a lawyer and having the ovarian cancer diagnosis before I could get approved. I miss teaching and wish I could go back but it is not likely. I still have some balance issues I have to deal with everyday. I also have Bells Palsy on the right side of my face. It has been over a yr so I don't think it is going away. 
   In November, James and I went to Texas to see friends and family for Thanksgiving! I finally got to meet my great nephew Blane. He will be 12 in March. I have another great nephew Cole and his twin sister Violet that I have yet to meet. They are fixing to be 7 I think at the end of January. I hope I get to meet them this next year.
  I lost several friends to cancer this year. My friend Peggy gained her wings in February. She battled breast cancer for several years. She was the one that helped me meet and marry James!
  Another friend that gained her wings in December is Karen. I only was getting to know her. She was a very sweet and thoughtful person. She helped me when I was first starting my chemotherapy. I will miss them both.
  I am hoping that I will get better at blogging. I really enjoy writing when I can remember to do it.

2017 is fixing to close in less than a week. Here is hoping 2018 is a much better year for us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do at 3 in the morning?

My Scar

Writing Tools that can be used